September 12, 2008

Once More With Feeling: I, Claudius


First the epic Brideshead Revisited miniseries gets a facelift. Now, the same thing's happening to the 1976 Masterpiece Theater classic, I, Claudius. (Which I never watched, incidentally, because I was two at the time...but my aunt has raved about it.) Relativity Media and director Jim Sheridan (My Left Foot, In the Name of the Father) are giving the Robert Graves book a new adaptation to highlight the stuttering, handicapped Roman emperor and his ilk. Based on the production value of the BBC version (see photo, exhibit A), I'm thinking an update is long overdue. But for those of you who've seen the 10-part series, is this news welcome or woeful?

See full story from The Hollywood Reporter

1 comment:

  1. I loved the original, but I'll watch the remake too (though, I don't really see that a remake is necessary). Being ancient Rome, there was a good bit of violence, but all offscreen, in the original, and I hope they don't put that all onscreen. The interactions between the characters, and the scheming and plotting were so interesting that I would hate for special effects to detract from that.

    ReplyDelete